The Ocean Hunt BRS20
- Toa Wood, Samoan Hardwood, Ocean Shell, and Canoe lashings combines into a seminal piece that represents the Master Hunters tools at sea
- All pieces meticulously detailed with Motifs Traditionally adorning Ancient Alias (swift fishing boats)
- Piece can be mounted or hung on wall
- Frame can be Hung on Wall or Stand on flat surface
- Approximately 24 inches long by 6 inches wide
The Samoan alia and canoes of antiquity were so swift that European voyagers marvelled at botht ehir speed and handling ability in the oceans. These pieces of the “Ocean Hunt” Series represent the tool set that ancient Samoans and Pacific peoples used on their fishing voyages.
Here we see the traditional hooks used to net food stock from the Ocean.
Though seemingly simplistic by today’s standards, we must marvel at their ingenuity, their self-belief and their deep understanding of the Pacific environment that allowed them to survive for millennia.
“Ocean Hunt” Series in collaboration with Tufuga Beau, exclusively available at Janet’s Retail Sotre and Janetssamoa.com